Monday, February 28, 2011

Mint.com

I love Mint.com.  I stumbled across the website about a week ago.  After a few days of reading reviews and asking different friends about their experiences with Mint, I decided to give it a try.  And the result?  I Love it!  It tracks ALL my accounts.  I tell you what, it is very sobering to see all my debt tallied on one page, and to see my net worth as -$54,655.08

The good news is that it showed me that I was off on my original debt estimate.  Instead of 55k, I am actually $57,577.74 in debt.  Not that being an additional 2K in debt is good news- knowing about it is.  I feel more in control of my finances now that I know exactly where I stand.

I also have the ability to set a budget, and Mint will track all my spending and inform me when I go over budget.  This also is very liberating.  Over the weekend I read a wonderful article about budgeting from No Debt Plan   And it was like a light-bulb went off when I read this:

             "A budget doesn’t tell you where your money went. Your money
              shouldn’t be going anywhere without you knowing about it. It does
              show you were you told it to go"

Again, I feel more in control.  So I set up a budget for the extra $168 I have a month (after all my bills are paid)  March will be the first full month that I follow this budget.  I will post about it soon and let you know how I am doing.

Until then, if you have a minute to check out Mint head on over.  It works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment